An International Educational Program ... An Unforgettable Moment
April 24 - May 8, 2014 - Thousands of Jewish teens from around the world will share a once-in-a-lifetime experience when they march three kilometers from Auschwitz to Birkenau, the largest concentration complex built by the Nazis. The March commemorates Yom Hashoah, Holocaust Remembrance Day, by retracing the steps of the March of Death - the actual route which countless numbers were forced to take on thier way to the gas chambers. Participants will experience a memorial service in Birkenau, which will conclude with the singing of the Hatikvah. From Poland, they will fly to Israel to celebrate Yom Ha'atzmaut, Israel's Independence Day.
The Federation is accepting applications to send students (grades 11 & 12) to participate.
VALUE: $5,640 + RT Domestic Airfare to JFK in NYC
Note: Submitting an application does not guarantee an acceptance to March of the Living.
1. Fill out application (below)
2. Submit a Letter of Recommendation describing candidates ability and background to participate on the trip. Must be from a professional who works in the Jewish field (teacher, counselor, rabbi, youth director, etc.). Submit to Amber Ikeman by email (email@example.com), mail or drop-off (580 McIntosh Rd, Sarasota, FL 34232), or fax (941.378.2947).
3. Copy of the inside page with signature and photo of your passport. (NOTE: PASSPORT must be valid through November 2014). If you do not have a passport or it will expire in November 2014, you must apply for a new passport now. Please indicate this in the email you send to us and send us the receipt from the passport agency at which you apply.
Submit to Amber Ikeman by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), mail or drop-off (580 McIntosh Rd, Sarasota, FL 34232), or fax (941.378.2947).
4. Attend an interview at the Federation on Wednesday, December 4th between 3:00 PM – 5:00PM (interviews will be 15 minutes each).
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 1, 2013
*Applying for the MOL does not guarantee your acceptance to the Sarasota delegation.
To be eligible to travel with the Sarasota delegation, you must be a resident of Sarasota or Manatee County for at least one year prior to applying.
*$1,000 non-refundable commitment deposit is required by Monday, December 9th, 2013.
*Upon completing your application, you will be contacted by the MOL Southern Region requesting payment. Please ignore this message. The $1,000 deposit must be paid to The Jewish Federation of Sarasota-Manatee upon acceptance, by Monday, December 9th, 2013.
If you are accepted to the Sarasota delegation, you will be required to submit the following documents to Amber Ikeman (email@example.com) no later than Monday, December 9, 2013:
1. Medical Form Part 2 (this can be found at www.molsouth.org under the “2014 Student Trip” tab)
2. Copy of the front and back of your health insurance I.D. card.
3. Three 2" x 2" Passport Quality Photos. Available at CVS, Walgreens and Walmart. Write your name on the back of each photo. (Get photos immediately!) (These are needed for ID tags and extra in case of loss of passport) Send 3 passport photos by U.S. Mail or Scanned and attached to email.
For more information, contact Amber Ikeman at 941.343-2106 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The program requirements prepare teens for the March of the Living (MOL) experience by engaging them in meaningful experiences that enrich the MOL journey. In order to receive the subsidized trip and successfully complete the program, valued at approximately $5,640 teens are required to fulfill the following program requirements:
1. Attend all pre-trip meetings. Meetings will include Holocaust education and team building. Meeting dates:
• Tuesday, December 3rd, 3:00 PM – 5:00PM, Interviews (15 minutes each)
• Wednesday, January 8, 4:30 – 6:30 PM
• Wednesday, January 29, 4:30 – 6:30 PM
• Sunday, February 9 – 9:00 AM – Holocaust Museum; drive to St. Pete, lunch
--- 1:00 – 3:00 Visit to Holocaust Museum in St. Pete with Young Ambassadors
• Wednesday, February 19, 4:30 – 6:30 PM
• Sunday, February 23, Retreat in Boca Raton
• Wednesday, March 19 – 4:30 – 6:30 PM
• Sunday, April 13, 6:00 – 8:00 PM – Farewell Dinner
• Wednesday, April 23 – Wednesday, May 7 – March of the Living MIssion
2. Attend post-trip meeting: Wednesday, May 21, 4:30 – 6:30 PM
3. Upon return, complete an evaluation of the MOL program and write an essay (at least 500 words) about your experience as a MOL participant. Deadline: May 21, 2014
4. Attend the reunion program (Date & Time TBA).
5. Attend and/or volunteer for at least five Federation events throughout the year following the mission.
6. Represent the Federation and/or the MOL program at events throughout the year when called upon. These events include but are not limited to: speaking opportunities, educational programs, concerts, parlor meetings, JFSM Annual Meeting, Teen Travel Expo, new participant training sessions, and mentorship. You will be provided with a list of events, times and locations.
Note: No student will be denied this opportunity due to a lack of financial resources. Such situations will be addressed by Financial Hardship Committee.
** ATTENDANCE IS MANDATORY AT ALL PRE-
AND POST- MISSION TRAINING SESSIONS.
Exceptions must be approved by the Project Coordinator, Amber Ikeman. Requests for exceptions must be made via email (email@example.com) at least one week in advance. Verbal requests will not be approved. Reasons for approved absences include illness with doctor’s note, death in the family, emergencies, or any other situations at the discretion of the Project Coordinator.
If you feel that you are unable to meet these requirements, please reconsider your involvement with this program.
1 unexcused absence: Make up missed session
2 unexcused absences: Make up missed session + $252
3 unexcused absences: Dismissal from program and repayment of subsidy
1 unexcused absence: Make up session + $252
2 unexcused absences: Dismissal from program; ineligible for any future subsidies or scholarships from Federation.
Participants who have unexcused absences will only be able to travel upon payment of these fees.
For further information, please contact Amber Ikeman at 941.343.2106.