An International Educational Program ... An Unforgettable Moment
April 3-18, 2013 - Thousands of Jewish teens from around the world will share a once-in-a-lifetime experience when they march three kilometers from Auschwitz to Birkenau, the largest concentration complex built by the Nazis. The March commemorates Yom Hashoah, Holocaust Remembrance Day, by retracing the steps of the March of Death - the actual route which countless numbers were forced to take on thier way to the gas chambers. Participants will experience a memorial service in Birkenau, which will conclude with the singing of the Hatikvah. From Poland, they will fly to Israel to celebrate Yom Ha'atzmaut, Israel's Independence Day.
The Federation is accepting applications to send students (grades 11 & 12) to participate. The deadline is November 30, 2012.
To be eligible:
○ Students must be entering 11th or 12th grade
○ You must fill out the online application supplied by the national organization, (red button at the bottom)
○ You must participate in a personal interview
○ The following items (some printed from the national website) should be filled out and sent to Orna Nissan:
1. A letter of recommendation
2. Photocopy of your current passport
3. FOUR passport photos
4. A copy of proof of health insurance
5. Signed 'Code of Conduct' form
6. Medical forms
7. Cancellation and refund form
8. Applicant statement form
10. A short essay titled "Why I Would Like to participate on the March of the Living" printed or typed, (not to exceed 200 words).
○ Domestic flight MUST be paid by the participants
○ There will be a mandatory retreat in Boca Raton
Dates to be announced
○ Participants must sign a contract.
○ Participants must write an article about their
experience for The Jewish News
○ Participants must volunteer at various Federation
events and programs throughout the year.
○ There will be mandatory Holocaust curriculum study guide and meetings.
○ Participants are required to respond promptly to communications.
○ Parents will participate by contributing to Federation’s annual campaign.
A minimum a gift of $1000 is required. In the event a family is unable to make such
a gift, arrangements can be made by speaking with Marty Haberer, Associate Executive
Director at 941-371-4546 ext 108.
In addition, anyone may particpate in the March, at their own expense.
For further information, please contact Orna Nissan at 941.371.4546 ext. 104.